Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Johnny Cash

I just saw Walk the Line this weekend with my wife and a friend. What a great movie! Johnny Cash. What a life! What a story of God's beautiful redemption! I'm listening to his music right now. I just love his voice, and the sense that his music comes from the deepest core of himself. There seems to be so much compassion in his music - as if he is speaking the love of God over the lives of broken people. He seems to have so much empathy for his fellow man - for poor, lost sinners like himself.

He was certainly a gifted and talented musician, and I'm so glad that he shared his gift with the world.

What could happen if we all creatively used our talents to help one another? What could happen if we authentically loved one another - humbly sharing one another's burdens?

How often have I looked down my nose at my brothers and sisters - pointing fingers - judging. How often have I been frustrated that I have such a difficult time connecting with people on a deep level. How often have my friends put up with my crap with God's patience and grace and love. God forgive me, and help me to walk in love.

I feel like listening to Johnny Cash is helping me to receive God's love for me. Not that I base my faith on feelings - and not that I base my faith on Johnny Cash's music. But the Scripture does say, "Behold! What manner of love the Father has given unto us. That we should be called the sons of God!"

2 Comments:

Blogger MarcoConley said...

Yeah, that Cash was pretty amazing. I really fell in love with him when he did his last album that included covers of Nine Inch Nails, Nick Cave, and Depeche Mode. Plus-- ya gotta love anyone who wears black. I haven't voluntarily worn any other color in over a decade.

10:09 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

What do you think about his faith? Why do you suppose that his faith was so significant to him?

It seems to me that without faith, he would have perished long before he did, and his life would have been considerably more miserable.

2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home