Friday, April 13, 2007

Resisting the IRS?

As April 15th (or more appropriately this year April 17th) is right around the corner, I recently read an thought-provoking article about those against the war who are refusing to pay some or all of their income taxes.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Taxes/Advice/AgainstWarAndTaxesToPayForIt.aspx

Of course, the war is justified (although the manner in which we are fighting the war is not), but this leads me to the question: Is it ever morally justified to refuse to pay taxes to the state, when those tax revenues are being used for that which is unjust? And of course the follow up question (and perhaps the more important question) is this: Is resisting the IRS practically feasible? It seems to me that to resist the IRS is - in principle - an act of war. Although I suppose this is debatable, for there does seem to be a big difference between refusing to pay taxes and killing people. But, we might as well ask the question: Is it morally justified and/or practically feasible to declare war against the United States government? At this point, I don't think it is. For one, it is not at all practically feasible. But even if we (who are we anyway?), took over the US government, we're not ready to govern a nation.

Thus, my focus will remain on governing myself, preaching the gospel, and serving other people.

I don't have time to blog about this now, but there does seem to be some strong arguments on both sides, and I would like to hash this out.

Of course, for the time being at least, I am paying my taxes. I just pray that God would work things out so that that money would be used for just purposes.

This leads to another rant (for another time). Biblically minded authentic Christians (who are properly interpreting the Word of God) really ought to assert themselves more. We are to be good stewards of that which has been entrusted to us. We are to take care of the world. We need to repent of fear of man, selfishness, apathy, and living so completely myopically.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home